Do you have an active day ahead of you? If you are an athlete getting ready to push your limits, then you need the best routine you can have to be ready to compete. Yet many athletes don’t consider skincare as part of this preparation. Having a routine for your skincare can have a major impact on your performance, such as preventing sunburn, chafing, and excessive sweating. It is important to look good and feel good to build confidence before a race or competition. So why not start with your skincare? Here are a few skincare tips for athletes to up their game.
Warm-Up Ready Skincare:
Before you even warm up it’s important to remember that your skin is your first line of defense against the elements. The sun's harmful rays, biting winds, or even the sheer friction of movement can leave your skin feeling raw and damaged. It's not just about aesthetics; it's about protection.
Adapting your skincare to your active lifestyle will help you to maximize your results. For runners, cyclists, climbers, or any other athletes, here's an example of a pre-workout skincare regimen:
- Start the morning off with a gentle face wash. If you are shaving make sure you use a moisturizing shaving cream along with a soothing aftershave to avoid skin irritation.
- Apply the Wake Up Eye Stick to reduce puffy eyes and feel more alert.
- Don’t forget a lightweight SPF moisturizer that won't feel greasy and heavy when it's time to perform.
- Apply our aluminum-free deodorant to absorb sweat, leave you smelling fresh, and reduce under-arm friction that comes from movement
It’s Go Time!
When it’s time to perform, a little preparation will go a long way toward keeping you focused on the task at hand. Here are some skincare tips for athletes to consider during your sport or activity:
- Use the Anti-Everything Body Powder if you experience any form of chafing. It keeps your skin dry and frictionless.
- Moisturize your hands with a non-greasy hand cream to prevent dryness and cracks that can affect your performance.
- Use our Ultra-Hydrating Lip Balm to prevent any discomfort that can come with dry lips from breathing out your mouth.
- If you’re able to, keep a travel-size sunscreen with you so you can reapply every 80 minutes while you’re sweating.
After Care For Your Skin:
As an athlete, your skin faces unique challenges that come with frequent training. Without a proper post-workout skincare routine, many of us break out from frequently sweating and increased oil production. Others get excessively dry skin from over-washing and too little moisturization.
Athletes need to wash their faces after training instead of just in the morning and night.
For post-workout skincare, wipe your face with our Cooling and Cleansing Wipes right away to remove sweat. This reduces your chance of breakouts due to sweat lingering on your face. Once you get to a shower or sink, wash your face with an exfoliating face wash and cleanse your body with our Epsom Salt Soap Bar.
After you shower, apply Body Lotion to your freshly washed body and use the Muscle Recovery Balm anywhere you’re likely to get sore. Before you go to bed, use the Overnight Renewal Serum. It will help moisturize and renew your face while you sleep, preparing you for the next day of training.
Skincare for athletes doesn’t have to be complicated; it just requires extra care. But it’s important to take care of your skin and body to ensure you look good and feel good.
How to Build the Best Competition-Ready Skincare Kit with Oars + Alps:
Highly active days can be long, stressful, and tiring. So make sure to create a competition-ready skincare set that can come with you on the road and make your skincare routine much easier. Customize your kit depending on your skin’s unique needs. You can also stash your items in our small reusable pouch.
At a minimum, we recommend keeping face and body wipes with you to keep you feeling clean and comfortable throughout the day. Use Aluminum-Free Deodorant to help keep you smelling fresh and manage underarm chafing. Always have a so you can reapply as often as needed. With our sunscreens, that’s every 80 minutes when you’re sweating.
How to Build a Personalized Skin Care Routine for an Athlete:
Skincare for athletes is an often overlooked part of your performance, but Oars + Alps simplifies the process with clean ingredients for clear, hydrated, and healthy skin. Adapt your skincare to your active lifestyle by taking our to find out what is best for your skin.
Join the club!
Subscribe to The Oars + Alps newsletter for email updates and extra special content!