We're Hiring: Product Development Manager
About Oars + Alps
At Oars + Alps, we’re building an entirely new type of business to forever change the way people shop for skincare products. We offer premium skin and body care products without the premium price and toxins. We have deep manufacturing and chemist/R&D relationships and a well-rounded founding team. The market is tremendous, and we are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the growing natural skincare market. We are a lean team and are looking for passionate folks to join us on this exhilarating ride! Oars + Alps is fast-paced, and requires someone who is scrappy, detail-oriented, and ready to hit the ground running.
If this role seems like a good fit, send over a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Role
- Product quality is at the heart of everything that we do at Oars + Alps and always comes first. As our company is scaling up rapidly and extending to more categories and more customers, we need a product development expert to lead all the formulation and packaging aspects of what it takes to put a formula on the market. This role is strategy and execution. The person is expected to contribute to innovation as well as project manage vendors/contract manufacturers.
- This role sits in West Loop, Chicago. Currently the team is working remotely due to COVID-19.
1. Formulation expertise:
- Work with Oars + Alps contract manufacturers to advise on all Oars + Alps formulations
- Lead and analyze all formula testing, including Stability, Safety, Micro and Efficacy (consumer claim, clinical) with contract manufacturer.
- Trouble shoot any formula issue and be able to lead the conversation with the contract manufacturer to identify where the issue is coming from and advise on solutions
- Identify breakthrough actives from raw material suppliers and negotiate exclusivity
2. Contract Manufacturer strategy
- Preserve and document Oars + Alps's Intellectual Property by leading formula commercialization and documenting all manufacturing process for formulation and fill at contract manufacturer sites
- Audit and provide assessment on Contract Manufacturer labs and manufacturing facilities on manufacturability, quality and reliability
- Determine the overall strategy, vendor-wise, according to the product category
- Lead the identification of who can be good partners according to projects
- Help identify ways to reduce costs from a formula and packaging standpoint
3. Scaling Up + Tech Transfer
- Control scale up at manufacturers from a process standpoint
- Control every pilot and production batches
- Lead all tech transfer to new manufacturers from a formulation standpoint (identify brief, debrief, monitor quality of batches vs. standard)
- Marketing or Product Development experience preferably in personal care/beauty space or CPG (food and beverage)
- 3+ years of senior level experience developing products with formulation knowledge in various forms (e.g. OTC cosmetics, emulsions, serums, gels, dispersion, and the like)
- In-depth experience managing development from inception, through testing, scale up and transition to manufacturing
- Able to communicates product benefits to marketing team
- Lead customer focus groups to identify which products to launch
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent with Google Docs/Excel
- Exceptional project management skills
Nice to Haves
Experience lab work as formulator/ chemist in skincare in a must, color and hair a nice- to-have
Experience in Contract Manufacturer or Brand
Oars + Alps is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Oars + Alps’ majority shareholder is S.C. Johnson. Employees will be hired by Oars + Alps, not S.C. Johnson.